Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Fire is Burning

     I woke up at 4 in the morning the other night and had a vision. I used to ignore those types of things as dreams and just rollover and go back to bed, but this was different. I keep a pen and paper near me, only because I like to write in bed before I go to sleep, but this seemed too important to write in bed. I was drawn to my desk and I began to write. This was my vision:
     There was a man in a burning building with fire all around him. He is in a middle room and a firefighter bursts in and says "Grab on to me!". The man is sitting there next to a 500 pound bowl made of cement, clutching it with all his might. He looks at the firefighter and says "But this is all that I have!". The firefighter says "You'll have to leave it behind" and the man replies "No, this is all I have!". The firefighter is forced to leave as the man burns to death clinging to his bowl.
     You see, grabbing on to Jesus is the only way to live, truly live. He will pull you out of the fire of God's wrath, but it will cost you all that you have. Many of us have things we like and don't want to give up to follow Him. Things we think are worth much more, but they will all leave you in the fire and they are all worth the same as that bowl. Nothing. Cling to Jesus and leave all else behind, my friend. You will have left all you have, but you will have lost nothing and gained everything.
     Look around your life. What have you given up to follow Him? What will you be willing to give up? If the answer is nothing, or really any less than everything, then I have bad news for you, you will die in the flame. He will not pull you out with one arm clinging to your garbage or with you trying to grab things as He carries you towards the door. He will only carry you out once you have both arms wrapped around Him and your face turned only towards His. (Mat 10:39)
     I would also argue that the rest of your life is then you being carried through the flame. It is not you walking outside in the fresh air, as some preachers would have you believe. That will come later. For now, it is your reward to be able to realize that you are in a fire. You will struggle as you see friends and family in the fire. Sometimes the smoke will be so thick you will have trouble breathing, and other times you may even be burned, but when it seems as though you can no longer take it, you can always look up and have great comfort in the one carrying you. He saved you, is saving you, and will continue to save you.
     Now don't misunderstand. This is not a perfect analogy. It is not a full circle doctrinal vision, but is does make a point that the Bible would agree with. You must cling to Jesus, and Jesus alone. There is no other way to get to heaven. There is no other way to have a relationship with God. All other 'ways' will be shown false, and any trust you have in any other thing will be proven foolish and perilous.
     It is not my goal to condemn you, but to have you look at your life. If you call yourself a believer, a follower of Christ, then examine yourself! (2nd Cor 13:5). Do you see Jesus in you, or do you follow other things? Are there things that you would not give up if He asked? What is most important in your life? Is it Him? If it is anything less or anything in addition to Him, then repent and put Him where He belongs. The number one spot in your life is rightfully His and His alone.
     I thank God for bringing you here to read this. I thank you for taking the time. As always, comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment